Skip to main content

The Pendragon Cycle: Rise of the Merlin


I hadn't been planning to watch The Pendragon Cycle: Rise of the Merlin, partly because it has two titles and they're both bad, but mostly because I felt I'd got Arthurian things out of my system for a while by making Gwenevere. But I had a look at it out of curiosity, and I think it's at least as good as most of the films and TV shows I reviewed in my Arthurian Films series on here a few years ago.
 
Based on a series of novels by Stephen Lawhead (which I haven't read), The Pendragon Cycle has been brought to your telly screens by a dodgy-looking American right wing outfit called The Daily Wire, and is overseen by writer/director Jeremy Boreing. One has to admire the sheer nerve it must have taken to make a career in the entertainment industry with a name like 'Boreing', it's just such easy ammunition for the critics. But luckily The Pendragon Cycle mostly isn't boring. 
 
It's a mad gumbo of eras and influences, including Romans, Britons, Druids, Atlantis (!) naff Rennaissance Fayre broadswords and the majestic mountains of East Anglia - but Arthurian tales have always played fast and loose with history and geography. It's also unashamedly Christian: a lot of modern versions locate Arthur at the point where Christianity replaces paganism, but they tend to be sad about it. ('The one God comes to drive out the many gods,' sighs Nicol Williamson's Merlin in Excalibur. 'It's a time for men, and their ways.') The Pendragon Cycle, however, thinks it's literally the best thing ever; all the magic the druids and Celtic wise-women have been doing was just a kind of taster for the miracles of the True God. But the Arthurian legends are Christian stories so it makes sense that the characters take their faith seriously. I never felt they were preaching at me.
 
The series is really a prequel to the familiar Arthurian story, riffing on the legends of Merlin's boyhood and his time as a wild man of the woods. But it kicks off long before even that, with the bard Taliesin, here imagined as a British prince fighting the Picts and Saxons. Meanwhile in Atlantis there's a whole lot of Cretan-style bull dancing going on – I detect that, like me, Mr Lawhead read Mary Renault's The King Must Die at an impressionable age. He clearly read Tolkien too, since his Atlantis is basically Numenor, and the inhabitants, like Numenoreans, are better dressed, better looking, and much longer lived than lesser mortals. Their star bull dancer is a young woman named Charis who is also a princess. It seems a bit careless to put members of your royal family in the path of charging bulls on a regular basis, but later on she mentions something about having been estranged from her father, so maybe it's a teenage rebellion type of thing.
 
Atlantis promptly explodes and sinks, so Charis and her fellow survivors move to Britain, where the locals naturally assume they're elves. Somewhere on the Glastonbury/Gondor border they build a fancy white citadel called Ynys Afallach, featuring architecture which no one else will even imagine for another 500 years. Here Taliesin and Charis get together, marry, and eventually produce a baby with spooky golden eyes like a hawk: Merlin.
 
All that happens in the first two episodes, and while they're a bit cheesy in places, they have an earnestness and narrative drive which I rather enjoyed. Unfortunately, the pace slows in episodes 3,4, and 5, which jump forward 75 years and get bogged down in politicking between shouty rival kings and warlords - it's obviously building towards a Big Battle, and you wish they'd just get on with it. At the same time, slightly confusing flashbacks keep giving us glimpses of cooler stuff that's been happening in that 75 year gap. It seems that Merlin has been a king, has had and lost a lover, and has lived wild and mad in the woods.When we finally get to see all this properly, in episode 6, the narrative drive kicks in again: it's powerful stuff, and some of the shouty kings become much more interesting once you understand Merlin's relationship with them. I'd have taken a more linear approach myself, but what do I know?
 
When the Big Battle finally arrives in episode 7 it's suitably spectacular. In the aftermath, Uther is annoyed to see his brother getting betrothed to Ygerna, daughter of the king of Cornwall. Merlin senses trouble ahead, and so will anyone who knows the stories. Anyone who doesn't may find it a bit confusing. Hopefully a second series will explain all.

It all looks good, with dramatic Hungarian landscapes standing in fairly convincingly for Britain, and it feels much more real and tactile than bigger-budget shows like the ghastly Rings of Power, perhaps because the budget is smaller and it has to rely less on effects and more on real people doing real things in real places. A lot of the action is well-handled too. (Ryan Whitaker, who directs some of the later episodes, stages his battle scenes like a cut-price Kurosawa). There are a few bits of dialogue that sound too modern ('You're out of line!') but most of it has that slightly heightened quality that reminds you these people are supposed to be speaking in another language, and long ago. I don't know where they found the actors, few of whom I recognised, but there are some great faces among the cast. Colin Cunningham is excellent as the twitchy, doomed Vortigern, Nicholas Boulton splendidly untrustworthy as the sneaky King Morcant, and Steve Varnom is rather moving as the gruff no-nonsense northern King Custennin. Tom Sharp is an effective Merlin, too.
 
 
Anyway, at least once an episode there was a moment or an image that reminded me why I love this stuff. And the bits between those moments were mostly pretty entertaining. It reminded me of Robin of Sherwood, which I used to watch on my landlady's TV on Saturday evenings in my first year at art college: a slightly guilty pleasure, but a pleasure all the same. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merlin (1998)

I remember Merlin being shown on TV as a two-part mini-series over a bank holiday weekend. The version I found on YouTube is a single three hour movie, but I think it might work better in two chunks, as originally broadcast. It still works pretty well, though. Director Steve Barron is completely infatuated with video editing tricks and slightly primitive CGI effects that I’m sure were state-of-the-art when it was made, but he uses them quite inventively, and there are some very enjoyable performances. Since First Knight was such a washout, I guess this is the definitive ‘90s Arthurian film. Like Excalibur , the definitive ‘80s Arthurian film, it tries to tell the entirety of the Arthur story, but since it’s main focus is Merlin it covers a lot more too, and Arthur himself ends up being a bit of a side-character, with the rise and fall of Camelot packed into the second half. At first glance, Merlin seems to be aligning itself with what I’m coming to think of as the Low Arthurian tradi...

Lord of the Rings 7: Minas Tirith

'This is not a work which many adults will read through more than once,' claimed the historical novelist Alfred Duggan, reviewing The Lord of the Rings when it was published. But I've read it through LOADS of times and now I'm blogging my latest re-read, so what did he know? And so we come to Minas Tirith, Tower of Guard, citadel of Gondor, seven tiers of fancy white fortifications built against a buttress of Mount Mindolluin, with the Tower of Ecthelion rising a thousand feet above the plain. It seems to me the template on which a whole genre of knock-off fantasy cities has been based - I guess Robert E Howard and people wrote about such places before Tolkien, and perhaps there were cities of equal grandeur on Barsoom, but when concept art threads on Instagram throw up unlikely gold and marble castles built on mountaintops and over waterfalls they always look distinctly Minas Tirithy to me. I'm wondering now if London in Mortal Engines was subconsciously echoin...

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

One of the reasons the Arthurian Legends appeal so much to writers and film makers is that there is no single original version. If there ever was, it was a tale told by some Romano-British storyteller, sitting by a fire in a damp hall, perhaps expounding on the great deeds of a local ruler or late Roman general, and spicing up the action with some motifs borrowed from old Celtic myths. In the centuries that followed, the story grew, and changed. Lots of legends about other heroes got tacked on to it. French and German poets got hold of it and added Camelot, the Grail, and Courtly Love: Malory borrowed from them all in his Morte D’Arthur . Later, everyone from Tennyson to TH White to Rick Wakeman to little me retold the stories, altering them to fit our own vision and reflect our own times. So you can do whatever you like with King Arthur: everyone else has. At least, that’s the theory. Now here's Guy Ritchie’s 2017 box office catastrophe King Arthur, Legend of the Sword to destru...