Skip to main content

Bonehill Films Presents: Gwenevere

Poster by Sarah McIntyre

 The time has come to unleash Gwenevere upon an unsuspecting world (though the bit of the world that reads this blog won’t be that unsuspecting, because I’ve been banging on about it for ages).

You can find it here on the Bonehill Films YouTube channel.

Christmas feels like a good time for Arthurian tales - it’s how Gawain and the Green Knight begins, with Arthur and his knights telling stories around the Round Table while the snow piles up outside. So I’ve decided to release Gwenevere on Christmas Eve, in the hope that people will find time to watch it over the holiday period. 

Ever since Sarah Reeve and I started this project, people have been asking what it’s for. Well, it’s for the same reason I act in the local panto or Sarah sings with her choir: because it’s nice to get together with other people and make something - hopefully something that’s entertaining. We’re not trying to break into the movie business, or even the independent short film scene. If we were, I’d have  picked  a simpler subject - something with just a couple of locations and two or three actors where we could concentrate on getting the lighting and camera work as perfect as possible. But I wanted to find something that would keep me interested through the long months of pre- and post-production, and that meant a period drama of some sort - what’s the point of making a movie if there’s no dressing up? Watching all those Arthurian Films during lockdown made me realise that the Arthurian legends were perfect - historical, but also mythic, so we could take a loose approach to the period detail.

That loose approach to period detail in full.

I think it holds together, and comes pretty close to what I was aiming for. I hope it bears comparison with some of the things that inspired it - an episode of The Boy Merlin, perhaps, or Roger Christian’s Arthurian-adjacent film Black Angel (His is obviously more professional, but I reckon we have a better story, and better characters). 

It’s a bit pointless to talk about how it was directed. If Martin Scorsese or someone is doing an interview about their new movie they can discuss why they chose to shoot something from a particular angle, or in a particular light. But on Gwenevere’s tiny budget we don’t have time to hang around for the light to change, and the reason we shot it from that angle is because all the other angles would have showed fence posts or telegraph poles. Pushed for time and resources, we did what we could with what we had. The duel scene could definitely have used an extra day and a fight arranger, but we couldn’t afford either. But the fact that I didn’t have much usable footage to work with in the duel meant that the focus falls more on Gwenevere wandering by the river, and she’s what the film is really about, so that may be for the best.

Laura Frances Martin as Gwenevere

Similarly, it’s annoying that we weren’t able to get Sir Ruan on a horse - the idea always to have him riding at the beginning of the film while the women trudge along on foot behind him. But if we had, they would have been riding and trudging across a field in rather flat mid-afternoon light. On foot, we were able to dash up onto the moor at the day’s end and get some lovely evening shots: the cut to the three of them walking past a little mere while Brian Mitchell’s gorgeous Latin hymn kicks in on the soundtrack might be my favourite moment in the whole film.

But I have lots of favourite moments, thanks to our wonderful and endlessly patient cast and crew, to Brian’s music, Jaine Fenn’s costumes, Tom Jacobs’s and Sarah McIntyre’s props, and all the Dartmoor people who so kindly let us film on their property. Without them, Gwenevere wouldn’t exist, and I’m glad it does exist. I hope you enjoy it too.

Isabel Keen, Jonny Hibbs, Tessa Arrowsmith-Brown, Sarah Reeve, me, and Alan Lee, on the set.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord of the Rings 7: Minas Tirith

'This is not a work which many adults will read through more than once,' claimed the historical novelist Alfred Duggan, reviewing The Lord of the Rings when it was published. But I've read it through LOADS of times and now I'm blogging my latest re-read, so what did he know? And so we come to Minas Tirith, Tower of Guard, citadel of Gondor, seven tiers of fancy white fortifications built against a buttress of Mount Mindolluin, with the Tower of Ecthelion rising a thousand feet above the plain. It seems to me the template on which a whole genre of knock-off fantasy cities has been based - I guess Robert E Howard and people wrote about such places before Tolkien, and perhaps there were cities of equal grandeur on Barsoom, but when concept art threads on Instagram throw up unlikely gold and marble castles built on mountaintops and over waterfalls they always look distinctly Minas Tirithy to me. I'm wondering now if London in Mortal Engines was subconsciously echoin

Thunder City

This September Scholastic will be publishing my new novel set in the world of Mortal Engines . Here’s the cover, created (like all the others in the series) by Ian McQue . The rule I set for myself when I was writing this one was that it shouldn’t feature any of the people or places from previous Mortal Engines books. So  Thunder Cit y takes place just over a century before the original book, when the town-eat-town world of Traction Cities is slightly less ruthless than it will become later, and none of the characters from the original quartet has even been born yet. (I suppose Mr Shrike must be bimbling about somewhere, but he’s still just yer basic implacable killing machine at this point so there’s not much point in paying him a visit). So hopefully this new take will be accessible to people who’ve never read Mortal Engines , and hopefully people who have read it will enjoy an adventure set in the same world. My pen and ink drawing of the Traction City of Thorbury,  after a painti

Railhead A-Z

In order to save my website it became necessary to destroy it. Before I pulled the plug I rescued the longest post on my old blog. Here it is, like the lone survivor of a shipwreck: my A-Z guide to the ideas behind my novel Railhead. At the time it was written, Railhead had just been published. I'll be putting up some posts about the sequels, Black Light Express and Station Zero , in the coming days. Railhead cover art by Ian McQue A  is for Alternative Forms of Transport ‘What I need,’ I thought, when I’d been struggling on and off for a few years with my space epic (working title, ‘Space Epic’) ‘is an alternative to spaceships…’ I’ve always enjoyed space stories. I first started reading science fiction back in 1977, when the original Star Wars film made me realise that outer space could be just as good a backdrop for fantasy as Tolkien-esque worlds of myth and legend. (Actually, I didn’t see Star Wars until 1978, but its bow-wave of publicity hit these shores the p