Skip to main content

Thunder City: Return to the Traction Era


Thunder City
will be published in the UK on 26th September - twenty three years after the original Mortal Engines

I'd thought I was finished with the world of the Traction Era, because I thought if I wrote another Mortal Engines story I was likely to end up just repeating myself. Which I have: Thunder City features airships, assassins, city chases, flying towns, Stalkers, and lots of other stuff from the earlier books. But in order to shake things up a bit I've set it about 110 years before Mortal Engines starts, so no one in that book has been born yet, and the world the action takes place in is slightly different.

It's the tail end of the Golden Age of Traction, when chivalric rules governed how cities pursued and consumed each other. By the time Thunder City starts those rules are starting to fray a bit, and there are predator towns and scavengers which behave very poorly, but the larger and older cities still act pretty sportingly.

A predator town, behaving very poorly
 

The conflict with the Anti-Traction League and its allies has cooled to a sort of armed truce. Travellers in the Mediterranean can still view the romantic ruins of the giant pontoon bridge which the Zagwan Empire constructed across the Straits of Gibraltar when it launched its war against the mobile cities, but that was centuries ago; Zagwa is now a fading power (having exhausted all its strength on building giant pontoon bridges etc) and the main opposition to Municipal Darwinism comes from the mountain nations of the East.  The mad mayor of Hamburg has recently announced a plan to attack the Anti Traction League's great stronghold of Batmunkh Gompa, but he won't succeed - his city's deck-plates will be among those decorating the Shield Wall when London arrives there a century later. The only part his half-baked scheme plays in the story is that when our heroes go looking for mercenaries to help them they can only find a rubbish one who was too old and drunk to join the Hamburgers' crusade.

Airships have established themselves as the main form of inter-city transport, but they don't fly as high or as fast as the ones in Mortal Engines, and they're not much use for warfare as they're too explodey and not yet armed with rockets. Stalkers (like Mr Shrike from the original books) are banned and largely forgotten, although on the raft resort of Margate sinister entrepreneur Dr Mortmain stages fights between human gladiators and reanimated, armoured chimeras... 

...which is where Thunder City begins. 

Please pre-order Thunder City from your local bookshop, or online from Bookshop.org, Waterstones or Amazon.  It's published by Scholastic.

If you're in the US, there's a hardback edition - hooray! But you'll have to wait until November - boo!


Cover artwork is by Ian McQue, cover design by Jamie Gregory. The little predator towns are my own drawings, and don't appear in the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder City

This September Scholastic will be publishing my new novel set in the world of Mortal Engines . Here’s the cover, created (like all the others in the series) by Ian McQue . The rule I set for myself when I was writing this one was that it shouldn’t feature any of the people or places from previous Mortal Engines books. So  Thunder Cit y takes place just over a century before the original book, when the town-eat-town world of Traction Cities is slightly less ruthless than it will become later, and none of the characters from the original quartet has even been born yet. (I suppose Mr Shrike must be bimbling about somewhere, but he’s still just yer basic implacable killing machine at this point so there’s not much point in paying him a visit). So hopefully this new take will be accessible to people who’ve never read Mortal Engines , and hopefully people who have read it will enjoy an adventure set in the same world. My pen and ink drawing of the Traction City of Thorbury,  after a painti

Lord of the Rings 7: Minas Tirith

'This is not a work which many adults will read through more than once,' claimed the historical novelist Alfred Duggan, reviewing The Lord of the Rings when it was published. But I've read it through LOADS of times and now I'm blogging my latest re-read, so what did he know? And so we come to Minas Tirith, Tower of Guard, citadel of Gondor, seven tiers of fancy white fortifications built against a buttress of Mount Mindolluin, with the Tower of Ecthelion rising a thousand feet above the plain. It seems to me the template on which a whole genre of knock-off fantasy cities has been based - I guess Robert E Howard and people wrote about such places before Tolkien, and perhaps there were cities of equal grandeur on Barsoom, but when concept art threads on Instagram throw up unlikely gold and marble castles built on mountaintops and over waterfalls they always look distinctly Minas Tirithy to me. I'm wondering now if London in Mortal Engines was subconsciously echoin

Railhead A-Z

In order to save my website it became necessary to destroy it. Before I pulled the plug I rescued the longest post on my old blog. Here it is, like the lone survivor of a shipwreck: my A-Z guide to the ideas behind my novel Railhead. At the time it was written, Railhead had just been published. I'll be putting up some posts about the sequels, Black Light Express and Station Zero , in the coming days. Railhead cover art by Ian McQue A  is for Alternative Forms of Transport ‘What I need,’ I thought, when I’d been struggling on and off for a few years with my space epic (working title, ‘Space Epic’) ‘is an alternative to spaceships…’ I’ve always enjoyed space stories. I first started reading science fiction back in 1977, when the original Star Wars film made me realise that outer space could be just as good a backdrop for fantasy as Tolkien-esque worlds of myth and legend. (Actually, I didn’t see Star Wars until 1978, but its bow-wave of publicity hit these shores the p