Skip to main content

White Noise

We watched this on New Year’s Day, and it turned out to be a good start to the film-watching year - or maybe a bad one, as it will be a hard act to follow: I doubt I’ll see a better film in 2023. Based on the Don DeLillo novel, it’s a strange, protean thing, shifting from campus satire to disaster movie to neo(n)-noir revenge drama before ending in a mass supermarket dance routine like something out of True Stories. To writer/director Noah Baumbach’s credit, it’s both very funny and very serious - the White Noise of the title is the fear of mortality, I think, which haunts Adam Driver’s hapless and slightly seedy college professor Jack Gladney (the leading expert in ‘Hitler Studies’.) ‘What if death is nothing but a sound?’ he muses at one point. ‘You hear it for ever. Sound all around.’ The comedy - like most comedy, maybe - springs from the absurdity of trying to live everyday life in death’s enormous shadow.

But a lot of Gladney’s everyday life would be absurd anyway. At home his wife Babett (Greta Gerwig) and their four kids are always having three or four conversations at once, peppered with non-sequiturs and garbled factoids (‘The family is the cradle of misinformation.’) The kids are all excellent. Babett is secretly taking mysterious pills. At work, Jack’s colleague Murray (Don Cheadle, tweedy and impish) is trying to build an academic career around Elvis (the two have an incredible Hitler/Elvis lecture-off, intercut with the train wreck that heralds the middle act). 

The dialogue comes largely from the book, I think (it’s many years since I read it). It certainly has a distinctive tone, witty, ironic, discursive, peppered with aphorisms.You have to listen hard, for fear you’ll miss something. Even so, I missed a lot, and will need to watch it again soon. It’s a rare thrill to find a film that loves words as much as pictures, and plays so lightly with so many big ideas.

It’s also the best artistic attempt I’ve yet encountered to tackle the pandemic. Mainly because it doesn’t. It’s an adaptation of a forty year old novel, and if it had been made a decade ago the events depicted and the characters reactions to them would be the same. But in the present moment the ‘Airborne Toxic Event’ which leads the protagonists to be evacuated from their town in the middle act inevitably feels like an echo of COVID. The spreading rumours, the growing realisation that this might be serious, the adults’ attempts to reassure the kids about things they are far from sure about themselves, the perverse and contradictory instructions from the authorities, it’s all startlingly familiar.

The lockdown stuff in Glass Onion (my other favourite film of this festive season) already feels oddly dated, and seems largely about signalling each character’s virtue or lack of it according to how seriously they take the mask mandates. White Noise’s catastrophe is universal, and there are no heroes or villains in its makeshift refugee camps. Faced with disaster, everyone grows selfish, helpless, panicky. ‘Don’t we deserve attention for our suffering? Our terror?’ demands Bill Camp, popping up for one of his reliably scene-stealing cameos with a TV set balanced on his head. “Isn’t fear news?

The evacuation scenes are spectacular stuff: queues of traffic jamming the highways, helicopters circling the spreading toxic cloud. (It’s slightly reminiscent of the evacuation of the area around Devil’s Tower in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which made me wonder if that inspired DeLillo?) In a more conventional film the screwball escape from the camp would form the climax. In this one the emergency just peters out, the toxicity of the airborne event event unclear, leaving the characters to drift back to their lives. A third of the running time remains. The mystery pills storyline returns, and leads to a confrontation with death and a sort of resolution. But White Noise isn’t a plot-driven film at all, although it’s packed with incidents. What draws you in, and makes the 2-and-a-bit hours fly by, is the tone. Just go with it, and you’ll be carried along like an incompetently-driven station wagon drifting down a creek.


White Noise is available on Netflix UK.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord of the Rings 7: Minas Tirith

'This is not a work which many adults will read through more than once,' claimed the historical novelist Alfred Duggan, reviewing The Lord of the Rings when it was published. But I've read it through LOADS of times and now I'm blogging my latest re-read, so what did he know? And so we come to Minas Tirith, Tower of Guard, citadel of Gondor, seven tiers of fancy white fortifications built against a buttress of Mount Mindolluin, with the Tower of Ecthelion rising a thousand feet above the plain. It seems to me the template on which a whole genre of knock-off fantasy cities has been based - I guess Robert E Howard and people wrote about such places before Tolkien, and perhaps there were cities of equal grandeur on Barsoom, but when concept art threads on Instagram throw up unlikely gold and marble castles built on mountaintops and over waterfalls they always look distinctly Minas Tirithy to me. I'm wondering now if London in Mortal Engines was subconsciously echoin

Thunder City

This September Scholastic will be publishing my new novel set in the world of Mortal Engines . Here’s the cover, created (like all the others in the series) by Ian McQue . The rule I set for myself when I was writing this one was that it shouldn’t feature any of the people or places from previous Mortal Engines books. So  Thunder Cit y takes place just over a century before the original book, when the town-eat-town world of Traction Cities is slightly less ruthless than it will become later, and none of the characters from the original quartet has even been born yet. (I suppose Mr Shrike must be bimbling about somewhere, but he’s still just yer basic implacable killing machine at this point so there’s not much point in paying him a visit). So hopefully this new take will be accessible to people who’ve never read Mortal Engines , and hopefully people who have read it will enjoy an adventure set in the same world. My pen and ink drawing of the Traction City of Thorbury,  after a painti

Railhead A-Z

In order to save my website it became necessary to destroy it. Before I pulled the plug I rescued the longest post on my old blog. Here it is, like the lone survivor of a shipwreck: my A-Z guide to the ideas behind my novel Railhead. At the time it was written, Railhead had just been published. I'll be putting up some posts about the sequels, Black Light Express and Station Zero , in the coming days. Railhead cover art by Ian McQue A  is for Alternative Forms of Transport ‘What I need,’ I thought, when I’d been struggling on and off for a few years with my space epic (working title, ‘Space Epic’) ‘is an alternative to spaceships…’ I’ve always enjoyed space stories. I first started reading science fiction back in 1977, when the original Star Wars film made me realise that outer space could be just as good a backdrop for fantasy as Tolkien-esque worlds of myth and legend. (Actually, I didn’t see Star Wars until 1978, but its bow-wave of publicity hit these shores the p