Skip to main content

Reeve & McIntyre Big Up Bookshops: Bookbugs and Dragon Tales








When Kevin arrived in the beautiful old city of Norwich, he was expecting to be met by Dan and Leanne Fridd, the owners of Bookbugs and Dragon Tales. But to his surprise, an actual bookbug and an actual dragon were waiting for him.

“Hello!” said the Bookbug. “I’m Leanne and this is Dan.”

“Hello!” said Kevin. “I was sort of expecting you to be human beings.”



“We are!” said the Bookbug. “But we were put under a spell by a Wicked IT Consultant.”

“Oh, do they do spells now?” asked Kevin.

“This one does - she used to be a Wicked Witch, but there’s not much money in that these days, so she took a training course. Anyway, she turned me into a bookbug and Dan into a dragon.”

“So we thought the only thing for it was to open a bookshop,” said the dragon.

“Luckily,” the bookbug went on, “a Good Dog-Groomer was able to cast a counter-spell…”

“She used to be a good fairy,” explained the dragon, “but she took a training course,”

“She couldn’t undo the IT Consultant’s curse completely, but we can turn back into our human forms during opening hours - 10 am to 5.30pm most days, and 11 - 4 on Sundays.”

“Hang on,” said the dragon, checking the time on his phone. “It’s nearly 10 AM now…”

The dragon and the bookbug transformed into Dan and Leanne in a massive puff of special effects. It was very impressive, but Kevin was worried. “What about your biscuits?” he asked. “I hope those haven’t been turned into anything?”

“No, they’re fine,” said Leanne, and took him into the shop so he could interview her.



Kevin: What is the best thing about being a bookseller?

Leanne: The people (and the mostly the babies)

Kevin: What’s one way you’ve tackled a problem that your bookshop has faced during the pandemic?

Leanne: Our 1st in the world 3d virtual bookshop tour https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=ogk7uqnCKBA. We also did a musical number to explain our covid measures https://youtu.be/AUQ62lXo_-4

Kevin: What are three books you absolutely love hand-selling to customers?

Leanne: Leonard and Hungry Paul by Rónán Hession, Heart and the Bottle by Oliver Jeffers, and The Binding by Bridget Collins.



Kevin: Who is your favourite children’s book illustrator? (Other than Reeve & McIntyre…)

Kevin: What is your favourite biscuit?

Leanne: Hobnobs

Kevin: Excellent choice! Do you have a bookshop pet?

Leanne: A spider called Charlotte. We do have a bookshop dog called Hannah but she’s not allowed in the bookshop because she’s grouchy



Visit the Bookbugs and Dragon Tales website to learn more, and possibly support them by buying a book. There's a virtual tour on the website, too! You can email the shop directly to order books - leanne@bookbugsanddragontales.com - and follow them on Twitter - Bookbugsdragon1 - and Instagram - bookbugsdragontales.

Comments

Unow22 said…
These are the same receptors THC within cannabis acts on. Essentially, you can experience a euphoric bliss, similar to the one marijuana provides. It’s important to avoid greasy foods when going through a THC detox.png 1500w, https://www.laweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Screen-Shot-2021-06-18-at-11.

Popular posts from this blog

Lord of the Rings 7: Minas Tirith

'This is not a work which many adults will read through more than once,' claimed the historical novelist Alfred Duggan, reviewing The Lord of the Rings when it was published. But I've read it through LOADS of times and now I'm blogging my latest re-read, so what did he know? And so we come to Minas Tirith, Tower of Guard, citadel of Gondor, seven tiers of fancy white fortifications built against a buttress of Mount Mindolluin, with the Tower of Ecthelion rising a thousand feet above the plain. It seems to me the template on which a whole genre of knock-off fantasy cities has been based - I guess Robert E Howard and people wrote about such places before Tolkien, and perhaps there were cities of equal grandeur on Barsoom, but when concept art threads on Instagram throw up unlikely gold and marble castles built on mountaintops and over waterfalls they always look distinctly Minas Tirithy to me. I'm wondering now if London in Mortal Engines was subconsciously echoin

Thunder City

This September Scholastic will be publishing my new novel set in the world of Mortal Engines . Here’s the cover, created (like all the others in the series) by Ian McQue . The rule I set for myself when I was writing this one was that it shouldn’t feature any of the people or places from previous Mortal Engines books. So  Thunder Cit y takes place just over a century before the original book, when the town-eat-town world of Traction Cities is slightly less ruthless than it will become later, and none of the characters from the original quartet has even been born yet. (I suppose Mr Shrike must be bimbling about somewhere, but he’s still just yer basic implacable killing machine at this point so there’s not much point in paying him a visit). So hopefully this new take will be accessible to people who’ve never read Mortal Engines , and hopefully people who have read it will enjoy an adventure set in the same world. My pen and ink drawing of the Traction City of Thorbury,  after a painti

Railhead A-Z

In order to save my website it became necessary to destroy it. Before I pulled the plug I rescued the longest post on my old blog. Here it is, like the lone survivor of a shipwreck: my A-Z guide to the ideas behind my novel Railhead. At the time it was written, Railhead had just been published. I'll be putting up some posts about the sequels, Black Light Express and Station Zero , in the coming days. Railhead cover art by Ian McQue A  is for Alternative Forms of Transport ‘What I need,’ I thought, when I’d been struggling on and off for a few years with my space epic (working title, ‘Space Epic’) ‘is an alternative to spaceships…’ I’ve always enjoyed space stories. I first started reading science fiction back in 1977, when the original Star Wars film made me realise that outer space could be just as good a backdrop for fantasy as Tolkien-esque worlds of myth and legend. (Actually, I didn’t see Star Wars until 1978, but its bow-wave of publicity hit these shores the p