Skip to main content

Mars and Beyond!

This old Disney TV show was drawn to my attention a few months ago by animator Hannah Moss - @BrochJam on Twitter. She said it was quite likely that Disney would take it down from YouTube soon, but at time of writing this it’s still up - if all the links in this post stop working. you’ll know it’s gone. If they don’t, you can find the whole thing here, and if you have 52 minutes to spare, it's well worth watching.

Made in 1957, the programme looks at the history of human thinking about Mars, what scientists in 1957 think it’s really like, and how they think we might one day get there. It’s fascinating on several different levels. First, and most obvious, the wonderful animation. Look at how beautifully the characters in the opening sequence are drawn!

And the wonderful invention on display in these aliens in their winter and summer plumage…

While this plucky space heroine definitely deserves her own franchise…
The sequence about the birth of the solar system is a sort of 2D forerunner of Douglas Trumbull’s massive effects sequence in The Tree of Life, which I mentioned in my last blog.
It’s an interesting glimpse of what Disney’s TV documentaries used to be like, with a long and rather fast-forwardable introduction from Uncle Walt himself and the stately narration. It's also a fascinating snapshot of the most up-to-date 1950s ideas about Mars. The Mars which Ray Bradbury was writing of around the same time, with its ethereal ruined cities and dreaming canals, was more fantasy than science fiction, but it wasn’t yet completely implausible. The idea that the Red Planet might harbour multicellular and perhaps even intelligent life wouldn’t be comprehensively scuppered for another few decades.

It's a little awkward that one of the scientists shown working on a manned mission to Mars is that old villain Wernher von Braun, whose hasty extraction from Nazi Germany and reinvention as an all-American hero left such a nasty stain on the US space programme. Fortunately, that gives me an excuse to link to Tom Lehrer’s excellent song about him - "'If the rockets go up, who cares where they come down? That’s not my department,' says Wernher von Braun’.

(Of course, the problem with von Braun’s V2 rockets wasn’t just all the people they killed when they came down, but all the people they killed before they went up. For every victim who perished when a V2 landed on London or Antwerp, at least five slave labourers died in the underground factory at Nordhausen where the things were assembled.)

So you might feel inclined to fast-forward through Wernher too, and reach the spectacular final animated sequence. Far less whimsical than the earlier ones, it demonstrates how square-jawed astronauts of the not-to-distant future might travel from Earth to Mars. Their umbrella-shaped atomic-electric spaceships may look quaint to us, but this is clearly a painstaking attempt to put a believable future on the screen.
 It reminds me a little of the Blue Danube sequences in 2001 - A Space Odyssey, and to modern eyes it has the same slightly wistful, might-have-been quality. It seemed so nearly in reach, this future. I can remember the promise it still seemed to hold out even in the early ‘70s when I was growing up. But the moonbases and domed cities on Mars turned out to be a fantasy. Instead, we got the internet. But that allows us to watch lost treasures from the Space Age like this one, so it’s not all bad.

Comments

Bonny Blue said…
This video is wonderful, especially when the imagination and animation really take-off on speculating what life on Mars could be like!

Popular posts from this blog

Lord of the Rings 7: Minas Tirith

'This is not a work which many adults will read through more than once,' claimed the historical novelist Alfred Duggan, reviewing The Lord of the Rings when it was published. But I've read it through LOADS of times and now I'm blogging my latest re-read, so what did he know? And so we come to Minas Tirith, Tower of Guard, citadel of Gondor, seven tiers of fancy white fortifications built against a buttress of Mount Mindolluin, with the Tower of Ecthelion rising a thousand feet above the plain. It seems to me the template on which a whole genre of knock-off fantasy cities has been based - I guess Robert E Howard and people wrote about such places before Tolkien, and perhaps there were cities of equal grandeur on Barsoom, but when concept art threads on Instagram throw up unlikely gold and marble castles built on mountaintops and over waterfalls they always look distinctly Minas Tirithy to me. I'm wondering now if London in Mortal Engines was subconsciously echoin

Thunder City

This September Scholastic will be publishing my new novel set in the world of Mortal Engines . Here’s the cover, created (like all the others in the series) by Ian McQue . The rule I set for myself when I was writing this one was that it shouldn’t feature any of the people or places from previous Mortal Engines books. So  Thunder Cit y takes place just over a century before the original book, when the town-eat-town world of Traction Cities is slightly less ruthless than it will become later, and none of the characters from the original quartet has even been born yet. (I suppose Mr Shrike must be bimbling about somewhere, but he’s still just yer basic implacable killing machine at this point so there’s not much point in paying him a visit). So hopefully this new take will be accessible to people who’ve never read Mortal Engines , and hopefully people who have read it will enjoy an adventure set in the same world. My pen and ink drawing of the Traction City of Thorbury,  after a painti

Railhead A-Z

In order to save my website it became necessary to destroy it. Before I pulled the plug I rescued the longest post on my old blog. Here it is, like the lone survivor of a shipwreck: my A-Z guide to the ideas behind my novel Railhead. At the time it was written, Railhead had just been published. I'll be putting up some posts about the sequels, Black Light Express and Station Zero , in the coming days. Railhead cover art by Ian McQue A  is for Alternative Forms of Transport ‘What I need,’ I thought, when I’d been struggling on and off for a few years with my space epic (working title, ‘Space Epic’) ‘is an alternative to spaceships…’ I’ve always enjoyed space stories. I first started reading science fiction back in 1977, when the original Star Wars film made me realise that outer space could be just as good a backdrop for fantasy as Tolkien-esque worlds of myth and legend. (Actually, I didn’t see Star Wars until 1978, but its bow-wave of publicity hit these shores the p